May 19, 2011

The Ultimate Minecraft PvP Guide

Welcome to our Comprehensive PvP Guide. In this I will include mostly tips for people new to the game, but also some useful tidbits I have picked up.

This will be split into three (3) sections, Buildings, Hiding your Items, and Actual Combat.

Buildings
The first, and most essential, rule to making houses in PvP is to Not Build Them Near Spawn
This is one of the most basic, and stupid, mistakes one can make. The raiders will be spawning At The Spawn, and you want your belongings as far from there as possible, Right? Now, you might say, Antazaz, My PvP server dose not have /home! How am I supposed to make my way back? My reply, of course, is WALK. You have all gotten so reliant on /home and /tp that you will wine about not having them, on a PvP server? Do you even know why those are not on most of them? Imagine, you coming up behind someone, Anticipating a good kill. You attack, Get them down to one heart... and they disappear. Not dead, but at there home, safe and sound. That is why. Also, some people log out to avoid being killed, but I will cover this in the combat section.

Back on topic, Identify land marks on the way to your house, a large mountain, floating island, or overhang. Another way to do this is just find which way is north, and walk in that direction until you find a good place for a house, and build it. I do not recommend this method, though, because some people just walk in one direction until they find houses to raid.

But now, you have your location, you build the most glorious castle ever, place all the diamonds you mined in a chest, then log off for an hours to pick up your sister from school (Or whatever). When you come back, there are huge holes in your castle, And all your items are gone. WTFHAX I Followed your move away strategy perfectly, and I still got raided! You LIER! Well, apparently you did not read the entire post, because now I will be telling you the Kind of house that is optimal in PvP. Your grand castle got sacked, you say? I wonder why... Oh Wait, Maybe because it is a huge landmark viewable from miles (More or less) away, just screaming, "I Have Valuables! Come and Get Me!". That is... well, stupid. The type of houses you want to build, from the outside at least, are minimalist. You should go burrow into a hill (Good, but a bit exposed), make an underwater entrance, (The most secure, but hardest to locate again) Or, My personal favorite, Build a small indentation in the side of a shadowy overhang. Almost impossible to see, but easy to locate, since it is a huge landmark.

Now you have your entrance, and make a magnificent house into the side of the mountain, and decide to go afk to walk the dog. When you come back, you are dead, your house destroyed, with some lava added in for good measure. What?! I did nothing wrong, I Followed the rules, AND STILL I GET FOUND! LIERLIERLIERHAXHAXHAXNUBNUBNUB, You might say. Again, Read the Entire Post. You know you have a little sign over your head with your name, and which is also shouting Come Kill Me! How do you get rid of this sign, you may ask, and to that there are two answers, one: Sneak everywhere. or Two: Build you house far, FAR underground. So far your marker is gone. Now you have an optimal PvP Base.

Useful tip: Avoid placing torches near your entrance, as this is a dead giveaway. Remember to go out at night and see if any light is showing!

Hiding your Items
Even if you Follow all the tips above, there is still the possibility your house will be found. If this happens, you don't want them getting away with all your goodies, Right? The most basic way to stop t
hem from stealing your items is to hide your chest in a wall. Easy, Right? Apparently not, since there are so many chests out in the open. But if you do decide to hide your chest, and I do suggest you do, don't just burrow two blocks in a wall and put your chest there. I make it a point to break every outer block there is when I first go into a room, with very pleasant results.The best amount of block in, in my experience, is 4. Now, you have your chest in place, placing the valuables in it, and fill the hole with dirt. Job well done! Well, maybe not. If you have a cleanstone wall, with one block of dirt, I automatically assume there is a chest there. There usually is. For gods sake, fill it with something that matches the wall, and for a little extra assurance, place a picture (Not a small one, a large one) Over the wall where its buried. To get max protection, Place a Decoy Chest, With non important items in it, but make it seem like a noobs inventory. (Stone swords, Cobble if you have a mine, maybe a almost dead steel pick)

Semi Useful Tip: Barley anyone checks furnaces, and they can hold items. Just saying...

Combat
Ah, on to the blood and gore. This is the main part of PvP, the actual conflict, the fighting. The single most important part of this, in my opinion, is The Element Of Surprise. You can usually land one, two, or even three hits on them before they know whats happening.And if you rock a diamond sword, that is enough to kill. Always, Always, Always be the one to start the engagement. This puts you at an extreme advantage. Half there health gone before they know what hit them... I cannot stress enough how important this is. I would go on about Surprise for a thousand more words, but you wouldn't want to read that. So, the second thing on this list is Tactical Retreating aka. Running for your life. If you are forced to do this, well, you probably did not get surprise. If you are in this situation, there are two modes you can be in, the "Damn he got me! Now he shall die" Mode, or the "OMFGIHAVEMYDIAMONDSONMENOOOOOOOOO" Mode. For the first and second modes, a Bow is a must. Barley anyone carries them, yet they are so useful... I will never understand. You can rain hell on them while running, Which will give you Surprise all over again. But if you do not carry one, there are two main things you can do. For mode 1 Y

ou can place blocks to try to slow them down, then go in for the kill if you so desire, or place water. Water is amazingly effective, as no one sees it coming. At there disorientation, you can go in for the kill. For mode 2, the main thing I would do is place lava, although it will kill whatever items they are carrying, you survive.

Now, on to actual combat tactics. Always strafe, (Move from side to side) As this makes it harder to hit you, and something i'm still on the rocks about, Moving back when attacking, then swooping in again. I am not so sure of it's effectiveness, but try it out for yourself. And thats really all I can tell you on this subject, as it is rather simple...

On to the people I hate most in PvP, The Loggers. These are the ones I hate the most, And I will do anything to take down. These are the people who log out right before being killed to protect there items. I will stop at no ends to kill them, and here are some methods I enjoy using.

1: The pressure plate. Put a pressure plate where they will be when they log back in, Attach it to TNT, Hilarity ensues.
2: The Cactus. Pretty self explanatory, put a cactus under them, And although this may destroy there items, it is still fun to watch.
3: The Drop. Make a large hole where they will log back in, they fall, you get there stuff.
4: Lavaaaaaa, The most reliable, Put lava where they will log back in, see them cry. But this destroys there stuff, so only use if you don't care about that.



Now, you may ask, What can I do while I wait for them to log back in? What I, Personally, do is the usual, Burn down there house, destroy all the items I don't need, and trample there crops for good measure. Now this may seem mean, but remember, I wouldn't be doing it if you hadn't been such a coward.

And here is the end of this wonderful guide, Remember to post any suggestions you have, and tell me what you think. See you in PvP, And stay Frosty my friends.

Submitted Tips:Tip 2: NEVER wear diamond armor. Sure, it looks nice, sure, it is strong. But if you die while wearing it you will really regret it. Because it required A LOT of diamonds to make and you ain't ever getting em' back.

Tip 1: lots of obsidian works wonders because people are easily deterred by the amount of time it takes to mine obsidian.Unless motivated.



All actions depicted and or described in this post are legal on the PvP server I use, and I would not do so otherwise.